With winter coming and the thermometer dropping it is important to consider steps necessary to keep your pipes from freezing. Here are some things you can do to save on costly repair bills.
- Do not leave hoses on hose bibs.
- Drain frost proof hose bibs with vacuum breakers, when required (check the hose bib instructions).
- Keep your house heated above freezing (don’t forget garages and crawl spaces).
- Make sure water meter boxes are filled with sawdust and the lid is on tight.
- Keep doors and windows closed to keep heat in.
- Insulated pipes in unheated garages will not ensure you against freeze damage if the garage gets too cold. If you do not plan to keep areas like this minimally heated, it is our advice to consider installing heat tape. If your washing machine is in a garage, this is imperative. The initial cost may save you from future frozen pipes.